Our Institute provides to researchers and study directors a high quality education in laboratory animal science. Our goal is to support the scientists in their work with animals in order to do a high quality research and this with respect for the animals.
We organize different courses to support researchers and study directors in different locations in Switzerland: Zürich, Bern, Basel and Lausanne:
1. Basic education in laboratory animal science: Module 1, Module 20 and Module EGA for experimenters. These courses provide the basics required by law to perform animal experimentation.
2. Qualifying education in laboratory animal science: Module 2 for study directors. This course intorduces the tools to plan and design an animal experiment according to the Swiss legislation. This course is being offered in Zürich, Basel and Lausanne.
3. Continuing education in laboratory animal science for researchers and study directors.
How to find the appropriate education for you?
1. You have already undergone education abroad or you are a vet working with animals that were part of your veterinarian training (dogs, cats, ruminants, ..): Module EGA (D, EN)
2. You have no education and you will work with rodents: Module 1 (D, EN)
3. You have no education and you will work with other species than rodents: Module 20 (only EN)
Education for Directors in animal experimentation (supervisors)
Module 2 (only in EN)
Ongoing education for experimenter and directors in animal experimentation (supervisors)
All other modules
Cooperation and Network
The Institute of Laboratory Animal Science is founding member of the Swiss Network for Education in Laboratory Animal Science. The members of this network are the Institute of Laboratory Animal Science (LTK) and the Animal Welfare Officers of the University Zürich, the ETH Zürich and the RESAL (Réseau des Animaleries de l’Arc Lémanique). This Network is recognized by the Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office as key partner for the education in laboratory animal science in Switzerland.
Since 2014, the University of Zurich and the ETH Zurich agreed on a cooperation in their education activities with regard to education and training courses required for researchers working with experimental animals. Accordingly, Dr. med vet Philippe Bugnon and Dr. med vet Maike Heimann (ETHZ) are organizing and conducting the required LTK Modules together under the lead of the LTK. This cooperation is actively supported by Dr. Michaela Thallmair, Animal Welfare Officer of the University Zürich. With this new Cooperation , the existing extent of trainings can be strengthened and expanded according to specific needs of researchers in the German part of Switzerland. As an example, new modules like the Module 11 “how to prepare a score sheet for my experiment?”, the module 13E “Biostatistics - Trial design and power calculation” are available from this year onwards.
The Institute for Laboratory Animal Science UZH is consultant in the EU platform for courses in laboratory animal science.
All courses are accredited by the Federation of Swiss Cantonal Veterinary Officers (VSKT).
The LTK Module 1 is accredited by FELASA (Federation of European Laboratory Animal Science Associations) in order to facility the recognition of this education in Europe.